Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Recycled Valentine Heart Crayons



January winters in South Dakota mean only one thing COLD GREY DAYS and time spent dreaming of spring.  Spring promises warmth and growth and wild flowers in all their colors, and of course Valentine's Day!  As bright green shoots and tiny daffodils begin popping up at the edge of my imagination I wonder what we'll do this year for my sons Valentine's Day cards and I come back to an idea.

I had been toying around with and an item you've probably found dozens of times on Pinterest (Recycled Heart Shaped Crayons).  I think one of the original posts for this craft includes a sweet little card printable and tutorial that can be found over at thelongthread.
So we decide to try melted crayon Valentine's this year and I can verify this craft experience was a HUGE hit, at least for my little guy. My son loved everything about this,
Step 1: peel the crayons
(loves peeling stickers so wrappers are almost the same thing)
Step 2: break the crayons into little bits
(need I say more)
Step 3: place all the little bits into the heart shapes in the mold
(just like the organizing exercises at school)
Step 4: Mom puts the mold in the oven at 250 for 15 minutes.

These were so fun we made tons of them.  My only problem is I HATE the fact that these are made with Chemicals and Petroleum (yep, your house will have that gross SMELL like crayons) but  lots of times when I get the urge to try something like this it reminds me why I make the choice to go natural with my products.
Hey we did have fun doing this and that is what he will remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment