Monday, July 28, 2014

Recycle your juiced veggies!

Summer and Mother Nature courtesy of my Local Farmers Market is cranking out the Fresh, Organic Produce in overdrive. Proverbs31Woman recently got me thinking about ways to make my produce last longer and avoiding food waste. I started considering all the fruits and veggies I buy, especially carrots, kale, apples, stone fruits and peppers (sorry that was a little drool on the keyboard). These goodies mostly go to support a new juicing habit I started with the encouragement and great recipes from a good friend of mine back in Mississippi and after seeing the documentary "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead". Turns out most children and adults in the US don't get enough fruits and veggies, and with my sons Autism based sensory challenges I have a VERY hard time getting him to eat these foods. So ... I decided we would invest in a juicer.


In case you have never juiced FYI : It is EXPENSIVE and time consuming . . . but it is worth it !

1. I had to hold a garage sale to afford our new juicer Omega 8006

2. It requires lots of fruit and veggies (4 carrots, 2 peaches, piece of ginger + 2 oranges = 8oz of juice)

3. It requires time to wash, cut and juice all those fruits and veggies.

4. You have a lot of left over skin, peels and pulp.

Now it was #4 on my list that got me thinking. I want to use as much of that expensive produce as possible ... so I gathered up some of my favorite recipes from my kitchen and around the web.


Check back soon for some of my favorite ways to make those leftovers really "a peel-ing ".

No comments:

Post a Comment