Monday, July 21, 2014

Kefir and Community


I've been making a lot of Water Kefir these days. I know your thinking okay...?! 
Water Kefir, how and why would you make Water Kefir? You've seen Commercial Milk based Kefir in the refrigerated section at the store and you know it's healthy but what are the benefits of the new Water Kefir stuff? Well I am by NO means an authority but here is a simple run down:

1. It's NOT milk based = that means Great probiotics without dairy.
2. It's simple = Water and Sugar plus minerals or fruit.
3. Great for your digestion = Kefir will jump start your healthy summer plans. 

There are wonderful quick tutorials available here Flavored Kefir in under 2 minutes and Kefir basics a little more in depth and I would encourage anyone with questions to check these out.

My personal recipe both pretty simple and a little different than both videos:

2 Tbsp Organic Cane Sugar
6 Tbsp Water Kefir Grains
1 Pint Filtered Water
1/16 tsp Organic Dulse leaf Granules

I use a Zero water pitcher to filter our tap water. Mix the sugar and water and warm in the microwave 15 to 20 seconds. I then add the Dulse to replace minerals removed by filtering and last add the Kefir. A little cloth or paper towel over the lid add your canning ring and allow to ferment for 2-3 days. Uuummm!

Important FYI :

DON'T USE METAL SPOONS OR STRAINERS ... Kefir Grains HATE Metal !
Water & Milk Kefir grains aren't the same ... Water Grains make Water Kefir !

Please feel free to contact me to share recipes or grains. 

Happy, Healthy, Bubbly Summer !



No comments:

Post a Comment